We are looking for a Senior / Principal Aerodynamics Engineer to join Coolbrook’s Turbomachinery Technology team.
Coolbrook is a transformational technology and engineering company on a mission to decarbonize major industrial sectors like petrochemicals and chemicals, iron and steel, and cement. We bring together world class expertise across different fields, building a strong, impactful, and passionate organization to scale up our technology for decarbonisation. Our international and growing team is working in Finland, the UK and the Netherlands. We are leading a Clean New Industrial Era.
As a Senior / Principal Aerodynamics Engineer, you have a firm grasp of the practical application of engineering fundamentals and have the drive to pursue individual expertise and expand knowledge in the field of aerothermal design. As a focal figure in the development team, you will lead close interactions with all the relevant stakeholders, including the mechanical and stress & structures team, supply chain, suppliers, and manufacturing to ensure all cross-functional requirements are met.
The successful candidate will be a good team player, self-driven, detail oriented, able to handle multiple project assignments, willing to learn, adapt and contribute in a fast-paced new product development engineering organisation.
Coolbrook offers you an exciting role in an international, dynamic, and growing organization with a real opportunity to have an impact and make history. In this permanent role you will be based in the UK or Finland and report to Dr. Mark Wilson, Chief Aerodynamics Engineer while collaborating with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
As a Senior / Principal Aerodynamics Engineer, your responsibilities will include
- Working with other specialists to define the system requirements, develop and optimise the machine architecture, environmental conditions and testing strategy.
- Deploying extensive expertise in modelling and simulation to demonstrate novel design concepts and methodologies in the field of turbomachinery aerodynamics and aeromechanics.
- Conducting engineering analysis and calculations with a range of fidelities to define and optimise all critical design parameters for the duty specification and ensure consistency through the whole gas process loop and for all operation scenarios.
- Conducting high fidelity computational fluid dynamics, aeromechanical and aeroacoustic analyses using both proprietary and commercial solvers.
- Providing technical guidance through effective coaching/mentoring.
- Owning the development and maintenance of technology roadmaps and demonstrating accountability for a pipeline of funded projects.
- Writing and presenting project development status updates to stakeholders as needed.
- Leveraging and growing an external network of collaborators in academia, government, and industry.
- Patenting inventions and developing a record of publication via conferences and peer reviewed journals.
- Strictly following all established company policies including EHS policies.
- Limited travel may be required.
For success in this role, you will need following
- Minimum BS degree in Mechanical Engineering required.
- A minimum of five (5) years industrial work experience in mechanical engineering (preferably in Oil&Gas/Power Generation/Aerospace turbomachinery).
- Good knowledge of subsonic and supersonic flows.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities with strong attention to detail and solutions.
- Ability to analyse the results of calculations and independently make design decisions.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences and stakeholders with a range of technical backgrounds.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Be a good team player.
- UK or EU right to work.
- Doctorate in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Hands-on experience of turbomachinery aerothermal design and simulation.
- Experience of Performance Engineering.
- Experience in aerodynamics measurement techniques.
- Experience in Secondary Air Systems calculations: seals, rotor stator cavity flows, etc.
- Experience in writing design methods.
- Python/Matlab coding.
- Chartered Engineer status with a suitable professional institution.
Coolbrook we are passionate about building teams where unique perspectives and
backgrounds are valued and where everyone feels equally included.
If this resonates with you, we are looking forward to receiving your application.
Please apply by 10.12.2023, and please note that we review applications as they come in, as we are looking to fill the position soon.
With inquiries about the role, please reach out via email to Dr. Mark Wilson at email@example.com.
Named Tech Champion 2022 in the Manufacturing category by The Financial Times, Coolbrook is a transformational technology and engineering company on a mission to decarbonise major industrial sectors like petrochemicals and chemicals, iron and steel, and cement. Coolbrook’s revolutionary rotating technology combines space science, turbomachinery and chemical engineering to replace burning of fossil fuels across all major industrial sectors.
The technology has two main applications: RotoDynamic ReactorTM (RDRTM) to reach 100% CO2 free olefin production, and RotoDynamic HeaterTM (RDHTM) to provide carbon-free process heating to iron and steel, cement and chemicals production. Once implemented at scale, the RotoDynamic Technology has the potential to reach temperatures of 1700°C and cut 2.4 billion tons (30%) of annual CO2 emissions in heavy industry. For more information, please visit www.coolbrook.com.